Recently in News from the Region Category

The Governor of the Cayman Islands, Anwar Choudhury has been temporarily withdrawn from his post so as to allow the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to investigate a number of complaints against him, Premier Alden McLaughlin has announced.

In a brief statement, McLaughlin said that he had been "invited to the House of Lords" on Tuesday night to meet with Lord Ahmad, Minister of State for the Overseas Territories.

"There the minister formally advised me that His Excellency the Governor, Mr. Anwar Choudhury, has been temporarily withdrawn from his post as Governor of the Cayman Islands to allow the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to investigate a number of complaints against him," McLaughlin said.

He said that Choudhury, 59, a Bangladeshi-born British diplomat, who was sworn in as Governor in March 2018, is currently in the United Kingdom and that the investigation is likely to last at least six weeks.

"The minister insisted that no further details could be provided at this stage and indicated that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office did not intend to make a public statement regarding the matter," McLaughlin added.

He said that during this period, Deputy Governor, Franz Manderson, will act as Governor and that he has already spoken with the Acting Governor "who confirmed that he had been similarly advised and that he was in the post and had briefed Chief Officers,".

"I have advised the Speaker, the Cabinet, the Government Caucus and the Leader of Opposition accordingly. While this development was unforeseen and is most unfortunate, I am confident that it will not affect the continued good governance of the Cayman Islands," McLaughlin added.





Patrick Byrne (Overstock.com CEO), Anthony Di Iorio (Ethereum Co-Founder), and Bill Tai (BitFury Board Member & VC) will each present a Keynote Address in Nassau, Bahamas

CaribPR Wire, NEW YORK, Feb. 22, 2018: Polymath, the security token issuance platform, today announced in partnership with Grit Capital, keynote speakers for POLYCON18 (https://www.polycon18.com/), the world's first event dedicated to securities tokens. The event will be held at the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar in Nassau, Bahamas from February 28th through March 2nd.

Overstock.com CEO, Patrick Byrne, Ethereum Co-Founder, Anthony Di Iorio and venture capitalist and BitFury board member, Bill Tai, will each give a keynote address at this year's inaugural conference.

The worlds of high finance and blockchain will gather at the event, which brings together institutional investors, retail advisors and high net worth individuals, as well as some of the most exciting and fastest-growing blockchain companies from around the world.

The conference features 35+ companies, 450+ attendees, a $100k ICO pitch competition sponsored by Victory Square, 1x1 meetings, keynote dinners, a cabana pool party, a casino night, and much more.

Attendees include former NFL players Israel Idonije and Ryan Mundy, as well as top-rated radio show host Todd Shapiro of The Todd Shapiro Show on SiriusXM Canada, whose weekly listenership tops over 1 million.

Featured POLYCON18 thought leaders include Matthew Roszak, chairman and co-founder of Bloq; Brock Pierce, co-founder of Block.one; Shawn Owen, CEO of SALT Lending; Yasmeen Drummond, co-founder of Women in Blockchain; Halsey Minor, CEO and co-founder of Live Planet and VideoCoin, Jason White, senior lead equity of crypto and ICO crowdfunding at Indiegogo, and many, many more!

"We're excited to arrange this meeting of the minds at the first-ever conference dedicated to securities tokens," said CEO of Polymath, Trevor Koverko. "POLYCON18 will connect the industry's top thought leaders and investors with the most innovative blockchain companies for an exclusive opportunity to network in an intimate and exciting environment."

POLYCON18 is hosted in partnership with Grit Capital, a leading consultancy service provider for investment relations and corporate development, and organized by Untraceable, the world's first blockchain and cryptocurrency event management and marketing agency.





PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands, Feb. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ -- interCaribbean Airways celebrating 26 years of continuous services, is pleased to announce new nonstop schedule services from Dominica to St Lucia and Tortola, with 1 stop easy connections via Tortola to St Thomas, St Croix, Sint Maarten, San Juan, Providenciales and Santo Domingo.

Travelers can make two-stop connections via interCaribbean flights to Kingston and Nassau. Even allowing for two stops this is still one of the fastest travel times in the Caribbean.

Flights to and from Dominica begin on March 22 with 3 weekly flights as follows:.

FL# FROM TO EFFECTIVE UNTIL DAYS DEP ARR

521 EIS DOM 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Th Su 4:25 p.m 5:45 p.m

621 DOM SLU 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Th Su 6:15 pm 6:55 pm

622 SLU DOM 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Tu Fr 9:00 am 9:40 am

522 DOM EIS 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Tu Fr 10:10 am 11:30 am

DOM = Dominica Douglas Charles Airport, EIS = Tortola Terrence B. Lettsome International Airport, SLU = St. Lucia - Castries International Airport.

interCaribbean has expanded its schedule to new points throughout the Caribbean connecting more of the Caribbean than any other Caribbean Airline.

CEO Trevor Sadler, stated: "We are pleased to begin connecting Dominica with our Caribbean, bringing affordable air fares to this latest interCaribbean destination". We look forward to welcoming Citizens and Residents aboard and adding new connections and cities that Dominica can enjoy.

Colin Piper. Director of Tourism, Dominica welcomes the new service, stating: "interCaribbean is giving Dominicans new choices to fly to and from Dominica and more connections to more places, the service is very timely and very welcome. We look forward to the launch and anticipation of service to further islands."





dwight-yorke.jpgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) -- Former Trinidad & Tobago and Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke is being sued by reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal for the non-payment of a TT$250,000 (One TT dollar =US$0.16 cents) loan.

Yorke, 46, was reportedly loaned the money in March last year to assist in a financial bind.

In the court documents filed last week, Chatelal claimed that Yorke approached him for the loan after his 'Island Vibe' fete which was held on March 4, 2017.

The court documents say the former national footballer was unable to secure a lender for the fete and as a result, was in a bind as he needed to pay those who provided services for the event. Yorke allegedly said that he could not approach the bank as the time for approval would place him in an embarrassing situation.

Chatelal subsequently agreed to loan Yorke TT$250,000 with a TT$50,000 interest to be paid after two months.

He reportedly deposited the money into the Dwight Yorke Foundation account on March 7 following the agreement.

Two months following the deposit, Chatelal contacted Yorke who in December 2017, paid him TT$50,000.

In January, a pre-action protocol letter was sent to Yorke where he was "invited to amicably settle the matter."

There was no response and on February 12, the legal proceeding was filed.

In 2016, Machel Montano sued Yorke for falsely using his name to promote a party that year.

He later dropped the lawsuit but had obtained an injunction to stop Yorke from using his name.

katie-price-hits-back-at-dwight-yorke.jpg

Dwight Yorke is the ex-boyfriend and baby father of glamour model, Katie Price. Katie has previously accused ex-boyfriend Dwight of not seeing their child, who suffers from a range of disabilities including Prader-Willi syndrome and visual impairment.

In her last autobiography, she wrote: "It's sad that [Dwight] is unable to accept Harvey for who he is and seems unable or unwilling to work within his limitations.

"I think Dwight wanted to blame someone for the fact that his son is disabled. I have always said that if Dwight could see what a courageous and talented boy Harvey is then he would enjoy being with him so much."

In 2009, he told BBC Radio 5: "I would like to play an integral part in his upbringing, of course, I love my kid but wasn't given the opportunity to really bring him up in the manner I would like to bring him up in."





Six killed in plane crash in the Bahamas

Webmin
No Comments

crime-scene-7.jpgAt least six people, including a child, were killed when a Piper Aztec plane crashed near Andros Island yesterday.

Aviation officials confirmed the discovery of one body floating in waters just east of North Andros.

Transport and Aviation Minister Dionsio D'Aguilar confirmed that a private plane crashed in Andros shortly after take-off Wednesday morning, killing all six people on board.

The Bahamas Coast Guard has so far recovered two bodies, according to Mangrove Cay Administrator Glenn Lightbourne.

The parliamentary representative for North Andros and Berry Islands, Carlton Bowleg Jr, who offered condolences to the victims of the crash, said he knew all of the victims





PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands, Feb. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ -- interCaribbean Airways celebrating 26 years of continuous services, is pleased to announce new nonstop schedule services from Dominica to St Lucia and Tortola, with 1 stop easy connections via Tortola to St Thomas, St Croix, Sint Maarten, San Juan, Providenciales and Santo Domingo.

Travelers can make two-stop connections via interCaribbean flights to Kingston and Nassau. Even allowing for two stops this is still one of the fastest travel times in the Caribbean.

Flights to and from Dominica begin on March 22 with 3 weekly flights as follows:.

FL# FROM TO EFFECTIVE UNTIL DAYS DEP ARR

521 EIS DOM 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Th Su 4:25 p.m 5:45 p.m

621 DOM SLU 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Th Su 6:15 pm 6:55 pm

622 SLU DOM 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Tu Fr 9:00 am 9:40 am

522 DOM EIS 22-Mar-18 03-Nov-18 Mo Tu Fr 10:10 am 11:30 am

DOM = Dominica Douglas Charles Airport, EIS = Tortola Terrence B. Lettsome International Airport, SLU = St. Lucia - Castries International Airport.

interCaribbean has expanded its schedule to new points throughout the Caribbean connecting more of the Caribbean than any other Caribbean Airline.

CEO Trevor Sadler, stated: "We are pleased to begin connecting Dominica with our Caribbean, bringing affordable air fares to this latest interCaribbean destination". We look forward to welcoming Citizens and Residents aboard and adding new connections and cities that Dominica can enjoy.

Colin Piper. Director of Tourism, Dominica welcomes the new service, stating: "interCaribbean is giving Dominicans new choices to fly to and from Dominica and more connections to more places, the service is very timely and very welcome. We look forward to the launch and anticipation of service to further islands."





dwight-yorke.jpgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) -- Former Trinidad & Tobago and Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke is being sued by reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal for the non-payment of a TT$250,000 (One TT dollar =US$0.16 cents) loan.

Yorke, 46, was reportedly loaned the money in March last year to assist in a financial bind.

In the court documents filed last week, Chatelal claimed that Yorke approached him for the loan after his 'Island Vibe' fete which was held on March 4, 2017.

The court documents say the former national footballer was unable to secure a lender for the fete and as a result, was in a bind as he needed to pay those who provided services for the event. Yorke allegedly said that he could not approach the bank as the time for approval would place him in an embarrassing situation.

Chatelal subsequently agreed to loan Yorke TT$250,000 with a TT$50,000 interest to be paid after two months.

He reportedly deposited the money into the Dwight Yorke Foundation account on March 7 following the agreement.

Two months following the deposit, Chatelal contacted Yorke who in December 2017, paid him TT$50,000.

In January, a pre-action protocol letter was sent to Yorke where he was "invited to amicably settle the matter."

There was no response and on February 12, the legal proceeding was filed.

In 2016, Machel Montano sued Yorke for falsely using his name to promote a party that year.

He later dropped the lawsuit but had obtained an injunction to stop Yorke from using his name.

katie-price-hits-back-at-dwight-yorke.jpg

Dwight Yorke is the ex-boyfriend and baby father of glamour model, Katie Price. Katie has previously accused ex-boyfriend Dwight of not seeing their child, who suffers from a range of disabilities including Prader-Willi syndrome and visual impairment.

In her last autobiography, she wrote: "It's sad that [Dwight] is unable to accept Harvey for who he is and seems unable or unwilling to work within his limitations.

"I think Dwight wanted to blame someone for the fact that his son is disabled. I have always said that if Dwight could see what a courageous and talented boy Harvey is then he would enjoy being with him so much."

In 2009, he told BBC Radio 5: "I would like to play an integral part in his upbringing, of course, I love my kid but wasn't given the opportunity to really bring him up in the manner I would like to bring him up in."





Six killed in plane crash in the Bahamas

Webmin
No Comments

crime-scene-7.jpgAt least six people, including a child, were killed when a Piper Aztec plane crashed near Andros Island yesterday.

Aviation officials confirmed the discovery of one body floating in waters just east of North Andros.

Transport and Aviation Minister Dionsio D'Aguilar confirmed that a private plane crashed in Andros shortly after take-off Wednesday morning, killing all six people on board.

The Bahamas Coast Guard has so far recovered two bodies, according to Mangrove Cay Administrator Glenn Lightbourne.

The parliamentary representative for North Andros and Berry Islands, Carlton Bowleg Jr, who offered condolences to the victims of the crash, said he knew all of the victims





dwight-yorke.jpgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) -- Former Trinidad & Tobago and Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke is being sued by reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal for the non-payment of a TT$250,000 (One TT dollar =US$0.16 cents) loan.

Yorke, 46, was reportedly loaned the money in March last year to assist in a financial bind.

In the court documents filed last week, Chatelal claimed that Yorke approached him for the loan after his 'Island Vibe' fete which was held on March 4, 2017.

The court documents say the former national footballer was unable to secure a lender for the fete and as a result, was in a bind as he needed to pay those who provided services for the event. Yorke allegedly said that he could not approach the bank as the time for approval would place him in an embarrassing situation.

Chatelal subsequently agreed to loan Yorke TT$250,000 with a TT$50,000 interest to be paid after two months.

He reportedly deposited the money into the Dwight Yorke Foundation account on March 7 following the agreement.

Two months following the deposit, Chatelal contacted Yorke who in December 2017, paid him TT$50,000.

In January, a pre-action protocol letter was sent to Yorke where he was "invited to amicably settle the matter."

There was no response and on February 12, the legal proceeding was filed.

In 2016, Machel Montano sued Yorke for falsely using his name to promote a party that year.

He later dropped the lawsuit but had obtained an injunction to stop Yorke from using his name.

katie-price-hits-back-at-dwight-yorke.jpg

Dwight Yorke is the ex-boyfriend and baby father of glamour model, Katie Price. Katie has previously accused ex-boyfriend Dwight of not seeing their child, who suffers from a range of disabilities including Prader-Willi syndrome and visual impairment.

In her last autobiography, she wrote: "It's sad that [Dwight] is unable to accept Harvey for who he is and seems unable or unwilling to work within his limitations.

"I think Dwight wanted to blame someone for the fact that his son is disabled. I have always said that if Dwight could see what a courageous and talented boy Harvey is then he would enjoy being with him so much."

In 2009, he told BBC Radio 5: "I would like to play an integral part in his upbringing, of course, I love my kid but wasn't given the opportunity to really bring him up in the manner I would like to bring him up in."





Six killed in plane crash in the Bahamas

Webmin
No Comments

crime-scene-7.jpgAt least six people, including a child, were killed when a Piper Aztec plane crashed near Andros Island yesterday.

Aviation officials confirmed the discovery of one body floating in waters just east of North Andros.

Transport and Aviation Minister Dionsio D'Aguilar confirmed that a private plane crashed in Andros shortly after take-off Wednesday morning, killing all six people on board.

The Bahamas Coast Guard has so far recovered two bodies, according to Mangrove Cay Administrator Glenn Lightbourne.

The parliamentary representative for North Andros and Berry Islands, Carlton Bowleg Jr, who offered condolences to the victims of the crash, said he knew all of the victims





Categories