Suriname beat Dominica in Digicel Caribbean Championships' Group B 2nd game

1 Comment

sur-v-dom-078-300x171.jpgSuriname sets up the showdown with Guyana for Group B final game to decide which of the two moves into the next round of the Digicel Caribbean Championship.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 – Providence Stadium, Guyana: Suriname defeated the 10-man Dominica 3-1 to set up a final match showdown with hosts Guyana to decide which of the two moves into the next round of the Digicel Caribbean Championship (DCC).

The group B encounter took place at the Providence Stadium, the second floodlight game at this venue. Dominica had a bright start against the Dutch team who would have good memories of this venue, having defeated Guyana in their return second round World Cup qualifying match.
Having lost their opening encounter in the group to Guyana on Friday night (0-3), Dominica came out with guns blazing against Suriname, a tactic that brought the desired results.

After a mere 7 minutes into the game, Prince Austrie finished off a promising run with a well aimed shot past the usually efficient Ronny Aloema. The goal brought renewed vigor to Dominica who continued to press forward.

Suriname, on the other hand, was just getting into a rhythm, which was not good news for Dominica who were not able to enjoy the lead for too long. In the 18th minute, and another of their frequent raids on Dominica 's defense, a Surinamese striker was brought down and a penalty was awarded.
Captain Marlon Felter stepped up for the shot and sent his opposite number and goal keeper Glenson Prince the wrong way.

The Dominicans who had still looked very purposeful, suffered a major setback when in the 20th minute, Imran Gage was given marching orders by Barbadian Referee Trevor Taylor for serious foul play against an opposing player. Losing a man at this point in the game was a major setback for Dominica as Suriname found much more space to control the flow of the game, which they did admirably. However, Dominica was still able to limit the scoring to 1-1 by the end of the first half.

It was difficult for Dominica to contain the offensive minded Surinamese for any lengthy period but they did try. Goal number 2 was netted in the 54th minute by Clifton Sanduvliet, with the sealer coming in the 84th minute compliments of a powerful left foot shot by Ferdinand Jap-a-Joe in the 81st minute.

Dominica had a few exciting moments of their own in the second half and missed a golden chance to tie the game at 2 from the penalty spot, but Paul Victor placed the ball way over the bar in the 73rd minute effectively ending their chance of coming back.

The third and final group game will be contested on Sunday afternoon. The winner of this game will book a place in the next round. For match pictures and further information visit