Written By:
Dancehall heavyweight Buju Banton has found himself on the wrong side of the law again, just a few months after his travel ban had been lifted by the United States embassy.

But this time, the charges are even more serious, as he may be facing possible jail time on an assault charge. Banton was on Wednesday offered bail in the sum of $50,000 after he pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault in the night court section of the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court.

The police alleged that Banton might be among a group of men who barged into a house on Carlisle Avenue in Kingston on June 24 last year and beat six men who they accused of being homosexuals.
On Wednesday, the rastafarian entertainer was ordered to report to the Constant Spring Police Station every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, between the hours of 6:00 am and 8:00 pm as a condition of his bail.

The case against Buju Banton will come before the court on September 30.
This incendiary aspects of the case could well signal the death knell of Buju Banton's career, and could put his upcoming tour dates in Europe and the United States in jeopardy. More so, this assault against an alleged homosexual could well trigger a major attack on Buju's character and reputation by overzealous gay rights activists because he has traditionally been one of their favorite targets.

Buju Banton, whose name is Mark Myrie rose to prominence almost 15 years ago with hardcore dancehall lyrics. One of his early hit singles, Boom Bye Bye, drew great criticism from gay rights groups, which claimed the song incited the murder of gay persons. Buju Banton is one of eight dancehall artistes who have come under pressure from gay rights lobby groups in Europe and the United States for their gay-bashing lyrics. In fact, several of these artistes have had a number of their stage shows cancelled as a result of the pressure.

Buju Banton was banned from traveling to the United States for one year after he was found guilty of possession of and cultivation of marijuana in the local courts and ordered to pay a fine of $9,000 or serve 60 days in prison in April last year.

In March this year the travel ban was lifted by the United States Embassy.