Works Agency seeks answers after Tuesday's Marcus Garvey Drive flooding

Webmin
No Comments

flooding-kingston.jpgTeams from the National Works Agency (NWA) have been dispatched as of Wednesday morning to investigate the cause of Tuesday's flooding along Marcus Garvey Drive in Kingston. In addition to that thoroughfare, sections of downtown Kingston as well as Waltham Park Road and Hagley Park Road were among the worst affected areas.

Marcus Garvey Drive was only recently extensively redeveloped, and Stephen Shaw, NWA Communication Manager, responding on RJR's Beyond the Headlines during the crisis, said, in relation to that thoroughfare, the agency would seek answers to various related questions such as whether some drains had been blocked or whether it was the sheer volume of water generated by heavy rain, "and with that we're also going to be looking at possible solutions to that particular issue..."

Motorists in the several sections of the Corporate Area were stranded Tuesday afternoon into late night after the downpour caused flooding and triggered major traffic gridlock.

Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie said the situation was compounded by the fact that major road redevelopment projects are taking place, "so it means that some areas are going to be affected more than (others) because of the construction work that is taking place."

Categories