Omar Collymore tried to flee Jamaica the day before his dead wife's funeral

No Comments

omar-best-collymore-aguiar-simore.jpgThe police are finally confirming that Omar Collymore tried to leave Jamaica the Friday before his wife's funeral on Saturday, January 27.

As had been reported, Omar Collymore was stopped at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston on Friday, January 26, as he was attempting to leave the island.

Collymore was later questioned by investigators and released after reportedly declining to answer hundreds of questions.

The police had also revealed that two people were already in custody in connection with the double murder and that other suspects were being sought for questioning.


Superintendent Paul Thomas, in a recent interview stated that based on investigations, he is confident Omar Collymore is the mastermind, behind his wife gruesome murder. Although the supe did not mention this, reports are that Omar Collymore was a suspect in the 2008 murder of his then girlfriend, who had a US million dollar life insurance policy.

Collymore's girlfriend, Angela Aguiar, 38, was gunned down and killed at about 3:30 am. on June 30, 2008, in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Her murder took place months after she had taken out a US million dollar insurance and named Omar Best-Collymore as beneficiary. Collymore, who was the only witness to Aguiar's murder. However, two years after Aguiar's murder, in 2010, Omar Collymore received received US$400,000 of the insurance money; Aguiar's son received the other $600,000. In the summer of 2016, the Broward Crime Stoppers began offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Aguiar's killer. Aguiar, of Lauderhill, was a single mother and real estate agent

In an article in 2016 in the Sun Sentinel, the reporter stated that although Aguiar's killer remains on the loose, court documents in a civil case point to her boyfriend at the time -- also her primary life insurance beneficiary -- as a suspect.

However, before the insurance money could be paid out, the insurer investigated, given Aguiar's death happened within its "contestability period" and had been ruled a homicide. In email exchanges between a Fort Lauderdale detective and insurance claims analyst in June and September 2010, the detective said Best Collymore was still considered a suspect in the case.

"No progess. Yes, Omar Best is still a suspect," the detective wrote.

Whether detectives have cleared him of any wrongdoing in the murder or whether he is still suspected of being involved remains unknown. Police would not comment further on the case.

Best Collymore could not be reached for comment despite multiple attempts by telephone.

Ultimately, the civil case was resolved and Best Collymore was awarded $400,000. The rest of the money went to Aguiar's son.

Since Aguiar's killing, police have released few details and currently say the murder is an active investigation. The shooting happened in the 100 block of Northwest Second Avenue where Aguiar was found in the street just west of the railroad tracks and Broward County's Transit bus terminal.

According to a police report, an officer who responded saw Aguiar in the arms of Best Collymore on the ground near the passenger side of their Ford F-150. The officer saw blood on the seat.

Best Collymore told police that the couple planned to meet with friends at a downtown bar and the shooting happened after parking the truck, the report said. As he got out of the driver's seat and bent down to tie his shoe, he heard a "commotion" and stood up, it said.

He walked around the back of the truck and saw a man standing next to Aguiar. According to the report, Best Collymore shouted an expletive and then ran for cover and heard gunshots.

Best Collymore returned to find Aguiar injured. According to a medical examiner's report, Aguiar was shot in the head and chest.

Aguiar's son thinks police have "dropped the ball" on a case that went cold years ago. He believes his mother was targeted and someone somewhere knows who pulled the trigger. Although his young son and daughter will never get a chance to meet their grandmother, bringing the gunman to justice would be "like closing the chapter," Aguiar said.

"Someone's going to break," he said. "I believe over time somebody's going to come forward. It can't be a secret for so long."

Chere Nedd, Aguiar's sister, says she has lost much more than just a sibling.

"She raised me as if I were her own, as if she birthed me herself," she said. "I grieve her as a mother figure as well as a sister."

When Aguiar died, Nedd had not shared news with her sister that she was pregnant. It was while Aguiar rested in her casket and Nedd said her final goodbyes that she had that chance. Nedd went on to give birth to a baby girl, now 7.

Investigators prepared the family for the possibility of no resolution in the case, and when one of the homicide detectives retired from the police department, Nedd said, he told relatives he was sorry there had been little progress.

"I feel like we've been more than patient," she said.

Her sister also described Aguiar as someone lively who embraced her friends and loved dancing and entertaining guests when they came to town. She was a "no-nonsense" person with a beautiful spirit, Nedd said.

"We don't know if this ever will be in the courtroom, but the fact she's not forgotten, it brings comfort to my family," Nedd said, of the recently announced Crime Stoppers reward. "This is a start. At least her name is out there again." (Source: