Japanese national strangled to death at Trinidad carnival

No Comments

japanese-strangled-carnival.jpgThirty-year-old Japanese national Asami Nagakiya was strangled.

Police reports say that an autopsy performed on the pannist show that death was by strangulation.As a result, Nagakiya's death is now being treated as a murder.

This was confirmed yesterday at the Forensic Science Centre in St James following a post-mortem performed by forensic pathologist, Dr Valery Alexandrov.

Alexandrov's report revealed that Nagakiya's death was due to "manual strangulation", indicating that someone used their hands to strangle the pannist to death.

Nagakiya, who played with PCS Nitrogen Silver Stars, was found lying on her side under a tree in the Queen's Park Savannah. Her body was discovered by some men on Ash Wednesday morning. She was clad in a yellow costume with an armband from the band Legacy. One of the men said she had a laceration on one arm as well as several bruises.

Her body was identified by the Japanese Embassy.

A regular visitor to Trinidad and Tobago's Carnival, Nagakiya captured images of J'ouvert which she posted on her Facebook page on Carnival Monday. Her close friend and pan colleague at Silver Stars Marcus Ash said it was a bitter pill for all to swallow.

"I think right now generally Silver Stars is shattered. She was like the life of Silver Stars. That person that would make everybody laugh. She never had a sad moment from the minute she touched down in Piarco. It would have been a dream come through for her I think, to be part of the band down here to win a Panorama. She was in love with her craft," Ash said. He noted that her glowing optimism and positivity had even recently got him through a personal ordeal.

She was a trained musician by profession, and had arrived in Trinidad on January 7, 2016, to participate in Carnival-related events.

She was from Kanagawa Ken Yokohama-shi Aoba-Ku Aobadai, Japan. Snr Supt Oswald Cudjoe, who heads the Homicide Bureau, is spearheading the investigation into the murder. Senior investigators told the Express yesterday that they had been visited by several persons who spent time with Nagakiya before she died and were willing to assist with enquiries.

The Express was also reported that investigators had "solid information" about a suspect that they were hoping to have in custody soon.