Ingredients: dried sorrel, dried ginger, sugar, allspice
1/8 tea spoon ground allspice (pimento) or about 12 whole allspice (optional)
6 oz dried sorrel
2 rounded table spoon dry ginger
8 cups water
2.5 cups water for re-draft
1.5 cups white sugar
1. Spread the sorrel out on aluminum foil or a white cloth which will make it easy to spot and remove any debris or unfit sorrel pieces.
2. After you have cleaned the sorrel pour it into a large cooking pot with 8 cups of water. Add the the two rounded tablespoons of ginger.
3. Boil the mixture for10 minutes after it begins to boil. Remove immediately and pour through a strainer into a suitable container.
4. Return the remains from the straner and return to the cooking pot and add 2.5 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil again and remove after 10 minutes.
5. Strain the mixture and discard the residue.
6. Sweeten with 1.5 cups of white sugar or to taste.
7. Cool then serve over ice. Refrigerate the remainder.