The Organised Crime Investigation Division and the customs department have launched an investigation into the theft of millions of dollars worth of cigarettes and tobacco products from two shipments, at Port Bustamante.
Cigarettes and other tobacco products worth more than $120 million were stolen from two transshipment containers, last week, at Port Bustamante.
The Customs Department issued a release on Thursday, warning wholesalers, retailers and consumers that they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, if they purchase any of these items from unauthorized dealers.
Persons who are found in possession of these products will be arrested for breaches of the Customs Act, and the full penalties will be applied.
The Contraband Enforcement Team says it is now investigating the theft of the goods from two transshipment containers at Port Bustamante.
The contents of the containers included cigarettes of the “Capital” and “Marlboro” brand, which were destined for other countries within the Caribbean Region.
The CET says continuous operations have resulted in the retrieval of a number of boxes of the illegal cigarettes.
The stolen items are easily identifiable, as they bear little or no health warning, as required by the Bureau of Standards, while others are marked “for duty free sale only”.