About 120 jobs could be lost in Carib Cement cuts

Webmin
No Comments





As many as 120 workers at Caribbean Cement Company Limited could lose their jobs when the cement manufacturer carries out a planned redundancy exercise.

According to a report on RJR News Caribbean Cement has been prepping some 80 workers from all categories of permanent staff for cuts.

A further 40 casual workers are likely to be let go.

When contacted, Caribbean Cement Company said they will not comment on the amount of jobs being targeted to be cut.

However, the company reiterated that the redundancy exercise will form part of an effort to cut its fixed costs by 20%.

The expectation is that the job cuts will start taking place as early as Friday, but at least one union official said his organisation has yet to receive all the documentation that usually accompany redundancy exercises.

"I have not received any listing of person or category of workers as yet.

There is a number being bandied around, but that is not confirmed. We are of the view that the (redundancy) list must be properly perused and all the legal aspects of it must be clearly followed (as) people losing their jobs is never easy to deal with.

We would rather find other mitigating circumstances to use but the company is clearly suggesting that it is in serious crisis," Granville Valentine, Vice President of the National Workers Union said in an interview with the station.

Last month, Caribbean Cement announced the planned redundancy exercise saying it had been hit badly by the downturn in the economy which was exacerbated by duty waivers on imported cement and dumped cement from the Dominican Republic.

Categories